Intent of Policy:
- To standardize the protocol for the facility to implement a visitation option for their residents and family members in the facility during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Overview of Situation:
- With visitation being temporarily suspended for an extended period of time for skilled nursing facilities, it is very important to safely begin initiating visitation within the facility for residents and families/friends.
- Visits will be scheduled Monday-Friday during daylight hours so that the management team can assist in supporting and monitoring the visits between the residents and family/friends.
- Visits will be scheduled in an appointment book, that the Administrator and/or Director of Nursing can schedule for families/friends of residents Monday-Friday 8 AM-4:30 PM. Visits can be scheduled by calling the facility and speaking to the Administrator or Director of Nursing.
- The visits will be held in the lobby of the facility, which is outside of resident care areas, to limit the exposure of visits to our resident areas.
- The facility is able to conduct (2) resident visits at a time.
- The visitation area will be sanitized using the facility’s sanitation solution after each visit.
- The visits will be held for (30) minute increments, with (30) minute lag time for sanitation and transportation of residents.
- The visits will be held from 10 AM-2 PM Monday-Friday, and will be scheduled on the hour. Again, visitors and residents can schedule visits with the Administrator and/or Director of Nursing Monday-Friday 8 AM-4:30 PM.
- The visits will have a plexiglass barrier between the visitor and the resident for an added layer of protection for the resident.
- The visitors will not be permitted to touch the resident during the visit.
- The visitors and residents must maintain a 6 ft social distancing requirement, which will be marked in tape by the facility.
- The visitors and residents must wear a mask during the duration of the visit.
- The visitors will be screened upon entrance to the facility and will be required to answer the screening questionnaire. If a visitor fails the screening process or presents with a fever, the visitor will be asked to immediately leave the facility and will not be permitted to schedule another visit for 14 days. The lobby area will then need to be sanitized.
- The visitors will have to perform hand hygiene upon entry to the facility.
- The resident will be encouraged to perform hand hygiene before and after the scheduled visit.
- Current employees will be educated on this policy and procedure. Any questions or concerns should be discussed with the appropriate supervisor.
Family Member/ Responsible Party Responsibility:
- All family members/responsible parties wishing to visit will be asked to review this policy and acknowledge the rules set forth by the policy.
- Family members/friends will be responsible for coordinating with facility Administration a time to visit with their loved one
- Visitations will be scheduled during designated times set forth by facility (Monday-Friday 10AM-2PM)
- Visitations will be limited to (30) thirty minute time slots in an effort to respect scheduling of multiple visitation requests.
- Visitors will perform hand hygiene immediately upon entrance into the facility. Visitors will then be screened upon entrance to the facility. Any visitor that fails the screening process will be asked to leave the facility and reschedule their visit in 14 days due their admission of symptoms and/or fever.
- Once the visitor is successfully screened in and sitting for the visit, the resident will be brought for the schedule visit.
- Visitors will be asked to sit in the designated area (designated by an “X”), which is strategically planned to adhere to the 6 ft social distancing requirement for visits. The resident will also sit in the designated area (designated by an “X”).
- The visits will have a plexiglass structure between the resident and visitor as an extra layer of protection.
- After each visitation session, facility personnel will be responsible for following proper infection control guidelines
- Plexi glass viewing windows will be wiped down on both sides with disinfectant spray
- Chairs, that the visitor utilizes, and the area of the visitation will be wiped down with disinfectant spray
- Children are permitted to visit when accompanied by an adult visitor, within the number of allowable visitors as determined by the facility. Adult visitors must be able to manage children, and children older than 2 years of age must wear a facemask during the entire visit. Children must also maintain strict social distancing.
- Visitors must:
- Wear a face covering or facemask during the entire visit;
- Use alcohol-based hand rub before and after visit;
- Stay in designated facility locations;
- Sign in and provide contact information; and
- Adhere to screening protocols.
- If at any time a visitor does not comply with the guidelines or does not pass the screening process the facility does have the ability to ask that visitor to leave. The facility also has the ability to determine whether the visitor has the ability to schedule another visit in the future.
- This protocol is subject to change at anytime, at the discretion of the Administrator or as directed by the local or state DOH. (IE: an outbreak or community positivity rate.)